Wednesday 24 October 2007

Is It Time For A Break?

I'm starting to think that I need a break from the game, a proper break, or at least a change of pace or game I play. Since I've been on the sick I've donked about playing limit hold'em, no limit hold'em full ring and short handed, 7 card stud, SnG's, MTT's and a bit of Omaha and HORSE. I've lost my focus, determination and also my timing is way off. I'm playing like a twat!

I withdrew $300 after my 2nd place finish on Mansion and treated myself a bit by having a long overdue night out and also some bits and bobs I needed. This left me with about $150 or so which I have slowly whittled away like a dickhead. Yes I am almost busto! My balance now is $27.20 on Full Tilt and $2.80 on Ultimate Bet. Balla! I've been a tool on Full Tilt and I spunked a $22 SnG by bluffing all the way to the river with 7s2s when it was obvious villain was never going away and I also blew a whole buy-in at NL50 6 max by 3-betting all-in with 44 of all hands against a tight player who held KK. I mean WTF was I doing playing NL50 anyway?

I love poker but something is wrong at the minute. The current external pressures don't help at all but they aren't the only thing. My game selection is poor and for some reason I can't helpbut bluff too much and you know when you're in a hand and you just know the villain has you outkicked or has an overpair but you still call even though you know 100% you're beat? Well I'm doing that with alarming regularity and basically I am a donkey! So with this in mind I'm thinking of taking a break for a while, how long I do not know. I'm not going to be able to redeposit anytime soon I shouldn't imagine and I will probably be without the net soon for a month or so anyway so now seems as good a time as any to regroup and sort things out and get into the right mindset for the micro stakes that I have to play. The break might just be a few days or it might be a month or so, maybe until the new year but whenever it is I'm going to make sure I want to play and not just playing for the sake of it.

I'm back at work Monday which should be a barrel of laughs, really not looking forward to it, especially as I think they're going to fuck my wage about with me being on the sick. I've a meeting first thing with Occupational Health which is a total waste of time to be honest but I've got to go to show willing. Fucking plastic shrinks make me LOL! Whilst I've been off I've spent a lot of time with Mrs P which has been absolutely great and is going to make going back to work even harder than it would normally be after 2.5 weeks off but I have to go back because I need the cash! However, I know my cards are marked so I will be looking elsewhere for workover the coming weeks I should imagine.

Nothing much else to say really. I went to look at a room the other day where Mrs P used to live and I'm in two minds. It's £80 a week which includes all bills apart from internet and landline but it is literally a room with a shower nothing else, no cooking facilites or anything. There are kitchens on each floor and laundry facilities too but they are communal. One thing going for it as well is there is no bond involved, just a £100 one off fee which helps, but I'd have to lose some of my stuff because it just wouldn't fit and I mean two leather sofas and chairs and shit like that. Like I said I'll have to think about it a bit cos time is rapidly running out!

That's it for now, off for a shit then heading into town to look at a few things then despite my break I might play a little bit of stud on Full Tilt for a bit because they play like shit on there and it'll pass a couple of hours!

Thanks for reading and best of luck at the tables!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad table selection and BR management yes puds, but you are not a bad poker player. Playing when really not in the mood but feel you have to becomes gambling IMO and may cause the first 2 problems.

A break will do you good mate and during it decide what you want to play and the game to beat, all the time remebering the roll that you will have to do it with. Come back have a crack and hopefully you'll enjoy it, if not, take another sebatical and just deposit when you fancy an MTT or something.

Whatever you decide, all the best Fish

Cogs

Big Black Dog said...

I remember you were 1 of the 1st to say hello(along with Mik & Cogs) when i started on RTR and it was appreciated.I hope things sort themselves out for you and you get back to winning ways!! gl.

www.algarvegolftravel.com said...

Algarve golf

so good your articles love reading them

Game101 said...

Hey Pudding, your story sounds really familiar. I went through the same thing before taking a few months off. I'm just now getting back to the game. hope things turn around for you.

gl.

Amatay said...

When you aint in the mood and u aint feeling dont play mate. Ive done it b4 a million times and usually play like a cooount.

GB said...

Doesnt sound like things are going too good at the moment mate, but they will pick up, thas a yorkshire lad after all tough as they come! Like everyones said just play when you want to play not when u feel u should. All the best mate hope things go well soon enough, btw where u looking for a place leeds? i might know a couple of people over there

Binner said...

Keep the chin up Yorkie Pud....this blog is a good read and I wanna see more!

Anonymous said...

Chin up mate :)

I agree with the first comment by Cogs. You seem to be good at poker, but you have trouble with focusing on a particular game.

Reading back through your blog, you've started numerous challenges, only to give up after a few days, and you seem to switch constantly between cash games, tournaments, full-ring, 6-max, SNG's etc, which can't be doing your game any good. Just choose one type of poker, and stick to it. Add proper BR management, and I'm sure you'll do well.

GL mate

Swifty said...

Aye...good luck mate.

I'm playing on autopilot at the moment, so I can sympathise.

Good luck with the life stuff.